1682 - Shows a two-story Log Cabin with a stone end which contained a fireplace. Quakers who emigrated to New England learned of this type of construction. Returning to England, they reported this method of building, which was adapted by the future purchasers.

The house probably was 18' x 30', according to William Penn’s plans for the size of proper construction. The original stone may be viewed from the outside, and its retaining wall, which was the support for the fireplace and the stone end, may be seen in the present basement.

Phase 1  
 1730 – About this time a two-story addition to the house was added to the stone end of the cabin  Phase 2
 1760 – A northwest addition was added to the 1730 structure, and the whole section was raised to three stories.  Phase 3A
 1760-1790 – Sometimes herein the wooden structure was removed.  Phase 3B
 1805 – The eastern section of the house was begun with interlocking walls rather than the usual side by side placement. A will, dated 1842, proves that the House was fully constructed and furnished before that time.
 Phase 4
 1860 – A water closet and laundry were constructed on the outside west wall. A door on the second floor replaced a bedroom window leading to a second floor privy. Also a covered enclosure was added to cover the new brick floor, laundry, pump, and existing well.  Phase 5
1927 –Extensive modernization, including electricity, modern pluming and bathrooms, and a new heating system were added. Modern plastering and hardwood floors were included in the modernization. The outside water closet was removed and its door replaced.

During the Township's ownership of the property, there have been extensive renovations through 1994. Materials which could have documented the positive ages of the early structures are not available. Extensive architectural research places the present building sections in the timeframes outlined above. Thus a picture of the evolution of the house can be approximately formed, if not completely defined.

Phase 6

The majority of the material contained in the section “Brief Chronology of the Richard Wall House” has been obtained from: “The Historic Structure Report of Cope & Lippincott, Architects - January 1981”