The Citizens Police Academy is part of the Department’s mission to build stronger connections between Cheltenham Township Residents and the Township Police.
This is a great opportunity to get a first-hand look at the Police Department policies, procedures, training and equipment during (8) two-hour evening classes. The 9th week will culminate in a graduation ceremony. Coordinated by the Community Policing Unit, the academy offers instruction from more than a dozen Officers in topics like crime scene investigation, car stops, narcotics investigations, K-9 unit, ethics, SWAT, terrorism awareness and prevention, and more. Local District Justices even staged mock criminal and civil trials to depict the last link in the law enforcement chain.
Academy objectives include:
- Providing information about police policies, procedures, special skills, training requirements, tools of the trade and more.
- Fostering an awareness and understanding of the police environment.
- Explaining both criminal and civil aspects of the judicial system and how constitutional constraints affect law enforcement.
- Teaching civilians to be more observant of their surroundings to increase their awareness of illegal activity and to effectively report this activity to police.
- Creating a pool of potential volunteers for the Auxiliary Police and Town Watch programs.
If you are interested in participating in the fun and informative program, please check out Facebook page for announcements.